top tips and fabulous facts!

At the risk of sounding a bit Viz "Top Tips", I have decided to add the odd post about favourite tips and tricks that I have learnt in over 20 years of cooking. I like the idea of being a repository for lost knowledge . . . the sort of things our grandmothers knew but have fallen out of fashion or perhaps a few tips that need to be updated for the 21st century.

I can be quite a geek about this kind of thing. I am the person who has found 101 things to do with vinegar. Although I can assure you that the tomato ketchup and "chlorine hair" thing definitely doesn't work. I still had green hair, but smelt of ketchup!

I do learn from and experiment with this stuff so that you don't have to. So if you want to get more juice from the lemon you are about to squeeze, then yes, you can roll it hard against a worksurface and it will exude more liquid. However, if you were to bung it in the microwave on High for 10 seconds, you will probably get a higher yield. And here it is that you can learn from my mistakes. Never microwave a lemon on High for 1 minute. Never! Ever! Why? Because you end up with a hot, exploding lemon bomb!

See what I mean? I do this stuff, so you don't have to!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

genius!... now where's my lemon?

Marmaduke Scarlet said...

Sometimes it takes 20 seconds, but I still tend to do it in 10 second bursts. If the lemon feels warm to the touch, you are well on your way to creating an offensive weapon!